You cannot just toss that tank in the trash. It’s bad on two counts. One is that it’s considered hazardous material. Another is that it contains a lot of good steel that can be recycled into your next propane tank or gas grill!
Here’s the right way to lose that old tank:
- Contact your local garbage hauler. They can tell you where to drop-off your old tank.
- Contact your city or county hazardous materials department. Where I live, the county sponsors free drop-off locations where they accept old propane tanks along with other hazardous household materials.
- Go to the place where you have your tank refilled and ask if they will accept old tanks for recycling.
- Contact the tank manufacturer. They may be able to tell you about a recycling location near you.
- Contact a scrap metal recycler to see if they will accept old tanks for recycling.
- You can drop-off tanks for recycling at any Blue Rhino exchange location. Just write RECYCLE on the tank. They will collect and refurbish the tank, is possible, otherwise they will recycle it.